2010年3月26日星期五

Writing up 2

          

This year we have a design work called culture project. For this project we are asked that we should explore the word “culture” as a starting point, to explore its meaning and then embark on a visual, exploratory and explanatory journey. Culture generally refers to patterns of human activity and symbolic structure that give such activities significance and importance. Culture can be understood as systems of symbols and meanings. Culture can be defined as all the ways of life including arts, beliefs and institutions of a population that are passed down from generation to generation. Culture has been called the way of life for an entire society. As such, it includes codes of manners, dress, language, religion, rituals, norms of behavior such as law and morality, and systems of belief as well as the art. For this project, we asked choose one of 3 themes centred around the word culture. Symbolic Hybrids, Architecture and the urban landscape and Beneath the surface.

I really interested in Symbolic Hybrids. I am a Chinese student. I naturally thought of the typical Chinese culture. China has a long history. So, the representative of the culture is so many. So I learned to use our approach, the mind map from semester 1, go to my ideas and inspiration drawn bit by bit, write it down. First of all, I think a lot of things. For example, Beijing opera, calligraphy, poetry, Wu Shu, paper cutting, ceramics, couplets, paintings, courtyard and so on. I think these can reflect China's unique cultural characteristics. Then I put them on paper, respectively. And then from these few point of view, divergent my thinking. For example, from calligraphy that I thought its color, is black. Material is ink. There are many calligraphic fonts. Each form is very different, there are coarse or refined. Generally written in calligraphy is on Xuan paper. The Four Treasures of China is famous for, namely, brush, ink, paper and inkslab. So I think if my design work can take advantage of Xuan paper and ink, plus a variety of fonts to paint the shape, but also a good idea. From the calligraphy I also thought of the Chinese tradition of ink painting. like this method, I just write my own thoughts and feelings on the paper. Finally I am more interested in Beijing opera facial masks. Because it is a very special art. The performers through their face make up to represent the different roles and personalities. Each one has its own meaning of facial masks. Different colors and patterns represent different character traits. So I want to learn this pattern, pattern, color. Applied them in my textile design. These are just the Chinese culture and art form. I think it could also learn from other countries, some of the cultural forms. They can compared. So I see a number of books information, looking for pictures on the internet, look at other countries art if they have some face mask art like China have. Then I get the color painting in Africa, The traditional Japanese woman’s face make up and so on. Then I have my project topic face visual feast. And then write their different characteristics, and then summed up the application in my works. Last semester I use this method mind map to develop my ideas. I also ues the method called brain storm. I bought a lot of notes of paper, and with team to discuss. When we have something in mind , we write in the notes on paper, and pasted to the wall. It is very clearly to help us to sort out ideas. In this way, thoughts can open, and we got a lot of thing. I also read lots of books and magazines.

If this time I can do it again, I want to choose the interview. In fact, my own knowledge is not so extensive. A lot of knowledge I do not know. This esoteric things like the culture, it is too difficult for me to understand. Perhaps I only know that on the one hand, a little bit. So I think we should be able to interview some teachers and researchers like this staff, because they are knowledgeable. They can be very clearly told me that I want to answer. The last time we did the interview, I have asked a teacher, he gave me the answer is very professional. He has his own unique insight. Unlike most of the respondents answers are very casual, very superficial. So I think I can based on their professional answers then analysis, sorting, integrated. And then select the one most interested in my own research. Of course, I also thought about using observation methods. But it looks a not very realistic way. Because I do not know what is cultural art form. So, I don not know where to begin. I do not know what should be observed. But I can first interview. I got some of what they call the representation of culture and arts. Then I can have the purpose to observe. I can observe the characteristics of each kind of art, and all of their similarities and differences. So I think interview is pretty useful.

Actually, my design study is talk about the mask. Mask has its own meanings and spirits. My studio brief is face art. They have close link. I think it is quite interesting. For the future, in my design project and design study, I'll try to use interviews, observation, mind map these methods. Select the appropriate method. Because they are really useful. They can help me analyze the ideas and inspiration. They can afford me a lot of information.

Now I feel that I was just a design student. Most time is to learn the works of masters. Then make some satisfied things that I think. Now I do not feel that I am a designer. Because many of my ideas is still very childish, very immature. When I consider something is still relatively simple. So, I still have to work harder.

Bibliography:

The Culture of Traditional China , Xi An

The Peking Opera, wang yin

The Art of the Cameroon, Washington,Haddom

Act of the upper, Meudon

The way of the masks, London, Lewis

Laga Culture, Bleakley

Life and art, Kilenge

Spirits and kings, Meudon

Different Culture, Kassel

The power of art, Barbier

Mask system, Guiart

Sculpture, Heurley





没有评论:

发表评论